LGG is hitting the road!

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post! Time flies when you're teaching intensive summer classes....

Anyway, big news. I've got about 6 weeks off coming up so I've decided to go on a gardening adventure!

I joined an organization called WWOOF: Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms, which allows you to work on organic farms all over the world in exchange for room and board. I signed up for WWOOF USA and found 2 farms in Oregon that have agreed to host me for 4 weeks!

Projects on the farms include no-till permaculture (will keep you posted on what that is), vegetable, fruit, nut, herb, and gardening, animal caretaking, and providing produce to a 35-member CSA (which is kind of like a produce club).

I am SO excited. In 5 days I will begin my journey from Texas to Oregon. I can't wait to share it all with you along the way: the work, the food, the places, and the people.    

Other than that, plenty has been going on in the garden despite LGG's hiatus. In fact, last weekend my community garden plot got compliments from not 1, but 2 of my personal gardening heroes. They are both excellent gardeners, and they both said my fare was looking fantastic. Perhaps my skills have progressed, now that I am coming up on an entire year as an urban farmer! Of course those of us who garden know it's mostly all about mother nature out there. Still, I feel like a proud mama.   :)



A rainbow of chard

This malabar spinach magically grew up the bamboo rods! What art.







These mystery tomato plants were a gift. Let's see what kind we get...








No comments: